Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ain't she a peach!

Well, I know I've been a little slow at reporting my "30 Things" project, but you will have to forgive me. I set a goal to learn to can this fall and thanks to a friend in my ward, I did it! It was really fun and surprisingly not as hard as I had anticipated. Besides learning to can pears and peaches, I also made a load of freezer jam. I made strawberry, raspberry, peach and pear (quite delish btw). Sadly I did not make enough as we are running low already--I guess I underestimated how much jam could be consumed under one roof! Anyway, the goal of my "30 Things" project was to learn things that I have always wanted to learn and lacked either the motivation or time to tackle. I am excited about this new-found skill and look forward to using it in my life for many years to come! On a funny note, the electricity went out when I was making the pear jam--talk about being domestic!


A simple recipe for pear freezer jam with pure pear taste.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 3-1/2 cups pear puree
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 package freezer jam pectin
  • 1/3 cup water or apple juice
Preparation:

1. Peel and slice the pears. Then, puree in a blender or food processor.

2. Stir the sugar and pectin together in a bowl.

3. Add the pear puree and water (or juice). Stir for 3 minutes.

4. Ladle the jam into clean freezer jars. Twist on the lids; then, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until thickened. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks, or freeze for up to a year.

Makes enough for 5 half-pint freezer jars.




7 comments:

  1. I should note that I didn't puree the pears, but mashed them with a potato masher. I think it makes the texture a little bit better.:) Happy jamming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe doesn't sound too hard! When I think of canning, I think of slaving over a hot stove and sterilizing jars and stuff. As in, stuff I would never have the time to do! Maybe I CAN can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you CAN girlfriend, you CAN.

    Canning was more labor intensive than making the freezer jam, but not by much. You can do it chica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taggart! I saw your blog via Wendy. Looks like life is treating you very well, Zach and I miss you. Love, Emily Reese

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... did I have a hard time to get here. Had to figure out your address, etc. Does seem like you could post a little more often. Are you a "facebook" person also? Utah is cold and expecting snow. Wyoming is playing in the New Mexico Bowl... congratulations. Jack C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, you are jamming? I used to jam with my friends, but that was more of a musical jam than a freezer jam. I guess you could jam in a freezer if you had one big enough. Like um as big as a "whale"?!
    Hey, I wanna talk to you some more, miss our fabulous times. Mickey.

    ReplyDelete